Friday, October 5, 2007


So my sleep patterns are a little bit turned around. i tend to go to bed soon after the sun falls from sight. I'm not really used to ten o'clock bed times. But i wake up at eight so it sort of makes sense. I guess its just one of the changes when not having electricity to help pass the time.
I've been thinking lots about the season and how we change. Maybe I miss Michigan. But part of being somewhere else is that you get an outsiders look at the weather and people and culture and climate ecetera.
I find it fascinating to see new faces and try to understand why they are so different and realize how we are both very similar.
Today Jon (my host farmer) and i had a really good talk about photography and the art made before its invention and the art made after. I think it all stemmed from talking about the farms and farmers markets in the area and how people tend to interact with their food differently when they meet the people that grow it and even give a hand from time to time.
When people come out here for their shares they seem so different and foreign. Like they bring the city with them. All the quickness. All the shuffling and time related tasks But i try to imagine myself as being just like them and this sort of makes it that much more rewarding knowing that I've changed my pace for a little while.
i think i felt the need to travel to avoid the habit in my daily routine.
i wanted to change things about myself but it was too difficult when the routine i was in kept having so many principles that i would let shape my sense of place.
while this can be very helpful when making paintings, i considered that maybe i needed to step away from the meaning of home to understand that it is always changing whether physically or mentally.
Painting and photography have always been an acknowledgement on the passing of time and place but now I'm sort of trying to catch a glimpse. Maybe building temporary homes and leaving them behind as just another place to come back to in someway or another.

No comments: