Tuesday, October 16, 2007

right now Northern California is a place with much rain. The farm I'm working on have geese that chase me around. they seem really mad at everyone. but i finally found some chickens that let me pet them!!!!
each night its like a five minute walk to my tent in the deep dark forest and then it opens up into a spacious meadow where spiders keep getting everywhere. like in my tent. and i assume my sleeping bag too.
for some reason I've been a little apprehensive each time i make the walk. i don't think I've seen dark like this before in Michigan and a friend on the farm mentioned that she's once come across glowing eyes at night in that area and thinks it may be a mountain lion.
so maybe i catch myself thinking about glowing eyes and mountain lions a little to much. oh and extraterrestrials, yep i always think of extraterrestrials when camping.
yet last night i had my head lamp on and was watching the brush and sure enough found two pairs of eyes staring right back at me about thirty feet from my tent. they were yellowish orange.
i tried to say hello but i don't think it understood me so i decided it might be best to grab my sleeping bag and head for the house.
once i unzipped my tent the foreign sound of zippers must have made it relocate to another hiding spot where i couldn't see.
today my host said it was probably a fox. but when you see a pair of eyes floating in the forest from the reflection of your head lamp anything can seem a little discomforting especially when you associate their eyes with intention and contemplation.

after two more days I've decided that i miss working at the library in Kalamazoo while realizing how appreciated i am given my change of lifestyle.
it can feel a little unsettling though given that whenever i made it somewhere new that after a few days i would want to keep moving. while living out of a car may seem a luxury at one point it can be a bit over bearing when wanting to feel relaxed and at home. and a little costly when not really making any money.
i decided to drive across the country again.
it always seems closer then it really is.

No comments: